Thread: "Live Chat" for SMF

Default "Live Chat" for SMF

Has anyone mentioned to "Simple Machines" to add "live chat" to the smf?

I have several users who would love it.

Probably has already been scripted and available in the mods, and I haven't stumbled on it yet.

Anyone?
    May God richly bless you today with his Love, Grace, Goodness,
    Health, Happiness, Prosperity, True Friends and Everlasting life !
    Gene Moore gmoore@nc.rr.com the-christian-daily.com :) :p ;)

.:2notch:.
    Registered Linux User #223476

RecruitPress - The Job Board Built On WordPress
    CC licensed blog header art http://www.digitalwestex.com/gallery/

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else.

WOW!

2notch, that's some very deep stuff! I guess that's why the guy uses "Deep" for his userid! Lookin at his photo, he does look like a guru geek from King Auther's day, that probably had a few sessions, with Merwin the Magician!

Anyway, that is way too above my paygrade to try and implement right now.

My first thought (that was my third above actually) ...... my first thought was "Am I just going to step deeper into you know what, by applying more mods to my already crippled smf-forum?

Has anyone "figgered out" a way to back out these mods yet?

One prerequisite on the creator of a mod should be that he first supply a "backout my mod" script, BEFORE HE IS ALLOWED TO EVEN PUBLISH HIS MOD!"

Or else, SMF, bless their hearts, should get someone to automate the Fantastico subroutines, to automatically recognize if a mod or mods has been applied, and strip that puppy back to the original coding, and report in a log, that these mods have been backed out, before we proceed with your upgrade to 1.1.2....etc......

Then, fools, like me, can decide "Which do I want most? My mods, or my upgrade to 1.1.2...etc....?

THERE JUST HAS TO BE A WAY TO KEEP SMF FROM GETTING OUT OF SYNC WITH MYSQL DATABASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEN WE ALL COULD TAKE NICE LONG BREAKS (SPRING BREAKS) AND GO DOWN TO THE BEACH OR SOMETHING, AND LIVE LIKE JETSETTERS FOR A WHILE, OR BEACH BUMS, WHATEVER THE CASE.....parden my shouting.....I was just showin off....k?

Shaking my head sideways here........

Anyway, 2notch, thank you very much for your suggestion on the mod to add live chat to my smf-forum! In a few days, probably, Lord willing, if/when I get over the blues of incompatiblility between Mysq? what sqf....no.....see my mind is going south......sqm......what.....ah ha!......SQL......whooh! I thought my time was up.......apparently not yet......

Anyone?

Thanks,

Gene

BTW......how do I get my ugly mug in the profile, so I can be compared to that handsome dude, basil? I put a reduced down photo in my profile, which you can go over there and see......but how do I get it to show up in these chats, like basils, 2notch, and etc.? thanks,,,,,gene

Gene, if I may offer you a piece of advice, slow down podnuh! You're about to reach critical mass with this web stuff! lol
    Work on learning how to master that SMF a little at a time. It has taken most of us years to learn what you are trying to do in a few days.

Now, to add your picture (avatar), click on User CP on the menu bar above, then Edit Avatar.

I'm a little confused what you mean by:
    1. trying to keep your SMF and MySql in "sync"
    2. incompatibilities in MySql

"Which do I want most? My mods, or my upgrade..." We all go through this, be it SMF, WordPress, Joomla!, phpBB, etc. Sometimes it goes well, other times you're sorry you clicked that upload button. Fortunately there is usually someone in the community that has already figured out a fix for it. Unfortunately, this web stuff isn't like your Windows XP computer where one click does it all for you.

Welcome to the net...
    .:2notch:.
    Registered Linux User #223476

RecruitPress - The Job Board Built On WordPress
    CC licensed blog header art http://www.digitalwestex.com/gallery/

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else.

Dear 2notch,

Thanks for the savy advise!

Agree!

As for as:
    I'm a little confused what you mean by:
    1. trying to keep your SMF and MySql in "sync"
    2. incompatibilities in MySql

What I mean is that I have smf-forum, smf-forum2 and did have smf-forum3. When I used Fantastico to remove one or the other, it would clobber something. It's as if they all three depended on more than just their individual mysql database! Incompatibilities - smf-forum is at 1.1.2 but the mysql thechris_smf1 is at 1.1.1.........and the two just don't seem to get along with each other gracefully! Up and down like a yoyo!

That is why I am starting over....removing smf-forum, smf-forum2, smf-forum3 (already gone); and building an entirely new forum from scratch.

See the new thread entitled: How can I clone a new forum from an existing one?

Thanks,
    Gene

It looks like the problem is fantasico, it is much easier in the long run to install SMF yourself, you will have a much better understanding of how it works, and upgrading will be much easier. There are some very good instructions on the SMF website.