Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SVN repository on bluehost

Default SVN repository on bluehost

Hi everyone,

I am having the biggest problems to checkout remotly a SVN repository hosted on my Bluehost account. It is working fine localy.

Here is what I do:
    Code:
    svn co http://mysite.hu/svn/myproject/
    I get the following error:

Code:
    svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/myproject'
    svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/myproject': 301 Moved Permanently (http://mysite.hu)
    Does anyone knows what to do?

Thanks a lot,
    Guillaume

you can't do anything.

you could ask bluehost to add mod_svn and mod_dav_svn to their apache web server.

HTTP subversion hosting requires a special plugin to the web server software. Please see the subversion book for more information.

There is a way to remotely use a Subversion repository running on your Bluehost account using svn+ssh. It only requires a very simple modification to one file.

The only thing you need to do is to modify your ~/.bashrc script to have the path to the svnserve application, which should be in ~/bin. All I did was copy my $PATH declaration from my ~/.bash_profile into my ~/.bashrc.

Once this is done test access to your repository by doing the following:
    svn list svn+ssh://USER_NAME@www.YOUR_DOMAIN.com/home/YOUR_HOME_DIR/YOUR_SVN_REPOSITORY _DIR

Here is an example of what it should look like:
    svn list svn+ssh://spring@www.springified.com/home/spring/svn-repos

That is all there is to it, it is annoying to always have to type your password but the benefits of subversion outweigh that small inconvenience.

Please note I am assuming you have ssh enabled on your bluehost account, as that is the only way, currently, to install subversion on it!

Default Mercurial!

A bit late, I know. But I only got my account here last week. I just installed Mercurial, a distributed source control management system written in (99%) Python. It's lightweight, so there'll be no real load on your server, and you get to work completely offline if you need to.

Works for me!

Could you please elaborate on how to, say, invoke svnserve (arguments, etc.) and how to set up the configuration (password, authz, etc.)?

I'm running into a dead end.

Thank you very much for your help.

Dave

Unhappy compiling subversion fails for me

I could successfully compile and install apt and apt-util.
    Unfortunately libtool breaks during the subversion build with:
    /usr/lib/libexpat.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I was wondering if that could have anything to do with the 64bit version of my host:
    $ uname -a
    Linux box307.bluehost.com 2.6.21-3_1.BHsmp #1 SMP Fri Jun 1 09:45:19 MDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Has anybody similar experiences?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bkohl View Post
    There is a way to remotely use a Subversion repository running on your Bluehost account using svn+ssh. It only requires a very simple modification to one file.

The only thing you need to do is to modify your ~/.bashrc script to have the path to the svnserve application, which should be in ~/bin. All I did was copy my $PATH declaration from my ~/.bash_profile into my ~/.bashrc.

Once this is done test access to your repository by doing the following:
    svn list svn+ssh://USER_NAME@www.YOUR_DOMAIN.com/home/YOUR_HOME_DIR/YOUR_SVN_REPOSITORY _DIR

Here is an example of what it should look like:
    svn list svn+ssh://spring@www.springified.com/home/spring/svn-repos

That is all there is to it, it is annoying to always have to type your password but the benefits of subversion outweigh that small inconvenience.

Please note I am assuming you have ssh enabled on your bluehost account, as that is the only way, currently, to install subversion on it!
    On windows using eclipse with subclipse and following this tutorial http://subclipse.tigris.org/servlets...ers&msgNo=3334 you can even avoid typing password all the time by using a SSH key with no passphrase.

With tortoiseSVN it's also possible to use a key to avoid typing password by entering something like:
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin\TortoisePlink.exe -2 -i "C:/Documents and Settings/myuser/pathto/mykey.ppk"
    in the "SSH client:" field in the "Network" settings screen of the tortoiseSvn settings.
    Last edited by devloic; 09-07-2007 at 10:11 AM. Reason: added how to use with tortoiseSVN

Google for it there may be some breaks out there.

Quote Originally Posted by bprager View Post

I was wondering if that could have anything to do with the 64bit version of my host:
    $ uname -a
    Linux box307.bluehost.com 2.6.21-3_1.BHsmp #1 SMP Fri Jun 1 09:45:19 MDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks!

Hello,
    Does Bluehost support SVN now?
    I.e.: We can connect to svn remotely?

Thanks so much. :)

Quote Originally Posted by bprager View Post

$ uname -a

Thanks!
    Did you ever solve this? I'm having the same problem with the version 1.2.12 of APR and APR-util
    Thanks.