Thread: How do I upload my site???

Default How do I upload my site???

Yes, I created my website from scratch because I am pretty good with coding html or at least good enough, but that is the only thing I know about website creation. I have know clue about dealing with servers since our teacher held our hand when it came to using servers or maybe I was sleep.

So I need someone to seriously break down the uploading-publishing process a,b,c style. I don't know anything about dealing with that control panel at all, so it would be nice if u can tell me exactly what to click. I'm not gonna upload until another day or two after I have brushed up on my site, but I would like to have a head start on knowing how. Please help.

The best way to upload pages to your site is using an FTP program on your own computer. There are several free ones available for download for the web so you don't need to buy one.

Once you have an FTP program you then configure it with the domain name of your site and the login name and password you use to access your site. It will then show two directory lists - one from your computer and one from the site and allow you to easily copy files backwards and forwards between them.

Early Out is offline Former Moderator, Still Respected

First, don't be intimidated by the "uploading" and "publishing" terminology. All you're doing is copying a bunch of files from one computer (your PC) to another (a BH server). Conceptually, it's no different from copying files from your hard drive to a memory stick.

As felgall has said, there are several good free FTP clients out there. I use the old free version of WS_FTP LE, still available here (grab version 6, the last one listed). Once you install it, create a profile for BH - the Host Name is just www.yourdomain.com, The Host Type is UNIX (Standard) and the User ID and Password are your BH user ID and password. Tell it to remember your password, but don't check the Anonymous box.

Before connecting, go to the Startup tab, and set the Time Offset between where you live and the BH servers (I'm on EDT, and the servers are on MDT, two hours behind, so I enter "2"). Also on that startup tab, enter public_html as the Initial Remote Site Folder, and point the Initial Local Folder to someplace like My Documents (probably something like c:\documents and settings\owner\my documents), if that's where your stuff is. This isn't crucial, but it makes life easier.

Hit OK, and you'll get connected. Now you just navigate to the files you want to upload, on the left, and hit the right-arrow button in the middle to copy those files to the server.

here is the graphical tutorial on how to upload your sites using the cpanel ftp manager.
    http://helpdesk.bluehost.com/kb/inde...od_id=2&id=100
    Charles Gan
    www.bluehostreview.org : Bluehost reviews hosted at bluehost:cool:

I have figured this out. Thanks.