Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick & tired. I need help.

Default Sick & tired. I need help.

I am currently sick & tired. I asked one quest. I beg of you someone finds me a solution.

The question is simple as this and i didn't find a solution yet.

"How can i make an Under-construction page while fixing drupal behind the scence?"

Here what i tried. I modifyed the .htaccess file by searching "Index.php" and replacing it with "Temp.html" and temp.html represent my Under-Construction page.

It worked like charm untill i tried the admin controll panel. Whenever i went somewhere it will go like
    "Method Not Allowed
    The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL /temp.html."
    When i do another thing it transfer me back to the website. I know teaching me or helping may be a pain on the ass, I searched, i googled it, i tried new idea through trial & error and all failed. My head hurts for 4 days in a row trying to solve this problem.

Here is my .HTaccess folder.

#
    # Apache/PHP/Drupal settings:
    #
    # Protect files and directories from prying eyes.
    <FilesMatch "(\.(engine|inc|info|install|module|profile|po|sh| .*sql|theme|tpl(\.php)?|xtmpl)|code-style\.pl|Entries.*|Repository|Root|Tag|Template)$ ">
    Order allow,deny
    </FilesMatch>
    # Don't show directory listings for URLs which map to a directory.
    Options -Indexes
    # Follow symbolic links in this directory.
    Options +FollowSymLinks
    # Customized error messages.
    ErrorDocument 404 /temp.html
    # Set the default handler.
    DirectoryIndex temp.html
    # Override PHP settings. More in sites/default/settings.php
    # but the following cannot be changed at runtime.
    # PHP 4, Apache 1.
    <IfModule mod_php4.c>
    </IfModule>
    # PHP 4, Apache 2.
    <IfModule sapi_apache2.c>
    </IfModule>
    # PHP 5, Apache 1 and 2.
    <IfModule mod_php5.c>
    </IfModule>
    # Requires mod_expires to be enabled.
    <IfModule mod_expires.c>
    # Enable expirations.
    ExpiresActive On
    # Cache all files for 2 weeks after access (A).
    ExpiresDefault A1209600
    # Do not cache dynamically generated pages.
    ExpiresByType text/html A1
    </IfModule>
    # Various rewrite rules.
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine on
    # If your site can be accessed both with and without the prefix www. you
    # can use one of the following settings to force user to use only one option:
    #
    # If you want the site to be accessed WITH the www. only, adapt and
    # uncomment the following:
    # RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^example\.com$ [NC]
    # RewriteRule .* http://www.example.com/ [L,R=301]
    #
    # If you want the site to be accessed only WITHOUT the www. prefix, adapt
    # and uncomment the following:
    # RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.example\.com$ [NC]
    # RewriteRule .* http://example.com/ [L,R=301]
    # Modify the RewriteBase if you are using Drupal in a subdirectory and
    # the rewrite rules are not working properly.
    #RewriteBase /drupal
    # Rewrite old-style URLs of the form 'node.php?id=x'.
    #RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    #RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    #RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^id=([^&]+)$
    #RewriteRule node.php index.php?q=node/view/%1 [L]
    # Rewrite old-style URLs of the form 'module.php?mod=x'.
    #RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    #RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    #RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^mod=([^&]+)$
    #RewriteRule module.php index.php?q=%1 [L]
    # Rewrite current-style URLs of the form 'index.php?q=x'.
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ temp.html?q=$1 [L,QSA]
    </IfModule>
    # $Id: .htaccess,v 1.81 2007/01/09 09:27:10 dries Exp $
    Setting up a website can't be that hard. There must be way out if someone of you reading this post PLEASE help me. Sorry if i said something offending but I am truly tired.

And if you know other way to do like in PHP-Nuke or joomla I am willing to delete drupal and replace it with the one you have in mind. Just solve my problem.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Actually you can do it by simple way, with one condition

"Your internet connection is using direct connection so you do not share same IP with others".

Here is what you can do :

1. Return all Drupal setting
    2. Find your IP address
    3. Insert this line into your htaccess file

PHP Code:
    ErrorDocument 403 http://some_other_place.com
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
    allow from YOUR_IP_HERE 
    With this trick, all people in the world who access your homepage will be rejected and shown temp.html. Only who access from YOUR_IP_HERE can see the actual page. But do not forget to return the setting after construction.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by kurniawan; 07-14-2007 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Replacing "/temp.html" into "http://some_other_place.com" to prevent people being confused.

Hey, sorry it didn't work ;)

On a more positive note, this really isn't that hard, there are just several different ways to do it that are more or less technically challenging.

At this point I'd recommend a really simple approach: put Drupal in a subfolder. Put your under construction page in the main public_html folder. You can password protect the Drupal folder if you really don't want anyone to see it.

When Drupal is ready to go, install a 301 redirect to the Drupal folder. If you need help installing a 301 redirect at that point, just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Pethens View Post
    Hey, sorry it didn't work ;)
    You are right. wow, I forget a very important one thing. I use this method and it works for me because I use subfolder for my main page. My page is inside :

PHP Code:
    public_html/main_page
    not

PHP Code:
    public_html
    And the htaccess I use is inside public_html/main_page/ which will redirect into other unprotected subfolder, for example public_html/temp/.
    Last edited by kurniawan; 07-14-2007 at 08:33 PM.

First of all i thank Kurniawan and Pethens for responding that fast. I tried to take a nap and i couldn't the problem is stuck on my bleeding head (Hair pulling).

Actually you can do it by simple way, with one condition

"Your internet connection is using direct connection so you do not share same IP with others".

Here is what you can do :

1. Return all Drupal setting
    2. Find your IP address
    3. Insert this line into your htaccess file

PHP Code:
    ErrorDocument 403 /temp.html
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
    allow from YOUR_IP_HERE
    With this trick, all people in the world who access your homepage will be rejected and shown temp.html. Only who access from YOUR_IP_HERE can see the actual page. But do not forget to return the setting after construction.
    Good luck!
    The problem is that I am in a home Lan network, not direct connection. I'll try this way if pethens way somehow failed. Since i dont like to dive in these detailed matters which result another problems sprouting from no where. And believe me, I am a guy that problems seeks for him.

Hey, sorry it didn't work

On a more positive note, this really isn't that hard, there are just several different ways to do it that are more or less technically challenging.

At this point I'd recommend a really simple approach: put Drupal in a subfolder. Put your under construction page in the main public_html folder. You can password protect the Drupal folder if you really don't want anyone to see it.

When Drupal is ready to go, install a 301 redirect to the Drupal folder. If you need help installing a 301 redirect at that point, just ask.
    I'll try this now. Hopefully it'll work and I will rest atlast. Though, it would be usefull helping me installing a 301, since i know nothing about it.

Pethens, Kurniawan, sorry for wasting your time and in the same time, thank you for wasting your time on helping me.

Quote Originally Posted by kurniawan View Post
    You are right. wow, I forget a very important one thing. I use this method and it works for me because I use subfolder for my main page.
    I wasn't responding to your post (I hadn't seen it), but you may be right about that. There are lots of ways to solve this problem, I just tried to pick something simple.

I wasn't responding to your post (I hadn't seen it), but you may be right about that. There are lots of ways to solve this problem, I just tried to pick something simple.
    I love simple things. I really do. :D

Now here is what I am doing at the moment:
    1) I deleted drupal, reinstalled it in sub folder called "Main_Page".
    2) Now I'll make an Index.html with "Under-Construction" page.
    3) I'll secure my "Main_page" folder somehow with a password.
    4) I'll direct it using 301 thingy once i learn that and once i finish my website.

Thats correct?

That worked like charm pethens, but you remember when i say that obstacle and problems are always after me.

Here what I DID exactly.
    1) Installed Drupal in a main_page sub folder. (worked well)
    2) Added the code (DirectoryIndex temp.html) (Worked beautifully)

But the problem is now my AddOn domain name which is in the same folder "Public_HTML" stopped working somehow. it gives me Index/ and files.

:( :confused:

Now that you have Drupal in a subfolder you don't need DirectoryIndex temp.html. Take that out and check on your addon domain again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pethens View Post
    Now that you have Drupal in a subfolder you don't need DirectoryIndex temp.html. Take that out and check on your addon domain again.
    Worked like charm. Thanks alot. Now all left to read some articles about 301. Could give me a common name to 301 so i can search for some articles.